This job involves responsibility in providing and developing new products or processes that complement Teel’s manufacturing capabilities and strategic plans. The ability to manage several projects at one time and work with and thru company representatives (sales, staff, purchasing, and other departments as needed). This requires excellent mechanical engineering skills and the ability to relate to the tooling and equipment used in the manufacturing process. Must have a broad understanding of polymers and manufacturing materials and both their properties and processing requirements. Must be able to work with new materials and develop products from them. Creativity and stamina are requirements to push new products/processes to successful completion. The person in this position must be able to diagnose the root cause of processing problems and variations and then implement steps toward alleviating those problems or variations. Strong communication skills both writing and verbal, in order to convey ideas and concepts to upper management and production employees. Must be computer literate with a working knowledge of CAD and Excel or other spreadsheet software. Must have the ability to organize and interpret large amounts of data (i.e. statistical quality data, process information). Must be tenacious in the utilization of product/process invention.
Develop new products/processes for sales growth:
- Design and/or specify tooling/materials and processing equipment
- Estimate and write up trial/development proposals for approval
- Supervise and conduct trials on line
- Evaluate results and report
- Develop final documentation, Set Up Sheets, work instructions (as required)
- Is responsible for establishing a definition of all process parameters for new products developed and effective transfer to the production technical support personnel as well as any required training
- Has direct control or operation of development trials that are part of assigned projects.
- Is responsible for creating and/or developing new products/processes that create barriers to competitors gaining our market share and barriers to our customers exiting Teel Plastics Inc.
Continuous Improvement Activities:
- Champion Continuous Improvement activities that improve key metrics used by Teel Plastics Inc. corporate
- Design or recommend tooling and process changes that will improve the manufacturing capabilities of TEEL Plastics, Inc.
- Assure that existing and new operating procedures are safe.
- Improve manufacturing efficiencies
- Support the increase in production rates and their effect on the product produced
- Lead activities related to the reduction in scrap rates and product costs (overall)
- Research and implement material substitutions
- Review project status and update customer/Teel Plastics Inc.
- Create P.O. requisitions, seek out quotes from vendors and manage outside resources related to project
- Complete trials plans and trip reports to customers, vendors in a timely fashion
Education and Experience:
- B.S. Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering or Polymer Engineering
- Strong technical skills with the ability to communicate effectively and accurately
- 3-7 years’ experience with CAD systems (Solidworks 3 D preferred). Need to be proficient in drawing tooling designs
- Minimum of 3-7-years in manufacturing or development with specific knowledge of the composite and/or extrusion processes
Must have the ability to handle many priorities at the same time and able to reprioritize frequently. Must provide direction and strong leadership in difficult situations. Must be able to effectively solve problems on a daily basis, sometimes dealing with conflicting goals. Must have the ability to seek out additional information to effectively resolve problems. Must make decisions on difficult issues using existing policies and precedent as guidance. Must have strong organizational, communications and analytical skills with the ability to work well under pressure. Must be able to handle and prioritize multiple tasks and meet all deadlines. Must have excellent problem solving/judgment skills, and high level of attention to detail and accuracy. Must be able to make sound decisions and provide strong guidance and mentorship. Must be able to maintain positive relationships and operate with a high level of integrity. Must have the ability to hold confidential information and know when to involve others to seek resolution.
EEO / AA / Disabled / Protected Veteran Employer. Teel Plastics offers equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals, without regard to unlawful consideration to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, national origin, or disability.